Slippery floors in the home can be really dangerous, as they cause falls which can result in serious injuries. The problem of slipperiness affects different floor types, making it a worry for most homeowners. Marble floors, laminate floors, and even concrete floors can all be slippery, due to debris, oils and other liquids in the home. Making your floor non-slip can be achieved by using home remedies. These remedies vary from one-floor type to another. This article highlights how to make your floor non-slip by using a home remedy.
Steps to Make Your Floor Non-Slip: Wood, Tile and Marble Floors
- Step 1: The first thing to do is get the floor clean. Start by sweeping the debris and dust off the floor. After sweeping, mop the floor making use of the warm water and soap solution. Leave the floor to dry before doing anything else.
- Step 2: Add an anti-slip solution to water and mix it thoroughly. Mop the floor making use of this solution. Allow the allow to dry before taking the next step.
- Step 3: Add one part of vinegar to two parts of water in a bowl. This solution is very effective in increasing friction on different floor surfaces. Apply this vinegar solution on the floor after using the anti-slip solution using a mop. Apply the vinegar solution regularly during the week for the best result.
Steps to Make Your Floor Non-Slip: Garage or Concrete Floor
- Step 1: Sweep debris and dust off the floor. Follow this by mopping the floor thoroughly, making use of warm water and soap. Leave the floor to dry up completely before taking the next step.
- Step 2: Make a solution by mixing floor paint and a non-skid additive. Apply this solution on the floor by using a brush roller. Leave it to dry before placing anti-slip adhesive strips on the floor. This will increase friction and reduce slips on the floor.
Tips to Getting Rid of Slippery Floors in Your Home
- Keep Your Floors Dry Always: Moisture is one of the major causes of slips in the home. Water, oil or grease will always leave your floors slippery. As such, it is important to keep your floors dry always by wiping away any moisture on the surface.
- Clean Your Floor Thoroughly: Another cause of slippery floors in the home is residues from cleaning agents. Ensure to wash off wax, moisture, grease and soap thoroughly, after every cleaning exercise.
- Use Absorbent Mats: Absorbent mats can do the trick when it comes to reducing moisture in areas of the home. Simply place them in areas of the home that are often exposed to moisture. Doing this will prevent moisture from pooling in the home. These mats can also be used to wipe your feet, in order to avoid spreading moisture around the home.
For the best solution, you can consider an epoxy floor coatings as it helps many benefits that include being anti-slip.