Water is an important resource on the earth. We cannot even imagine a life without water. But if the water is found in excess in and around our house then it threatens our very existence.
Water is known to silently enter our house or property through various paths. Destructive and widespread floods have become a regular news story these days. But the reality is it is scarier when our property falls victim to these floodwaters. Your insurance company may not cover the entire cost of the damage. So, a public adjuster from Allcityadjusting.com will help you for claiming your insurance for your property damages.
You should contact Best Water Damage Restoration services as soon as water damage occurs because Dealing with water damage in your property is confusing and frustrating as well. The water damage restoration process is a huge pain because the amount of damage and mess that water causes are major problems. You need experts in this process, you need to contact Best Water Damage Restoration Company who offers 24/7 emergency water damage restoration services.
No matter how much the moisture has seeped into the structure, immediate clean-up of the water damage is necessary. Water damage spreads rapidly if it is not stopped promptly and the resulting ruin to the structure can be an expensive repair.
Important Guide to Water Damage Restoration
Water damage comes in different shapes and forms – from small leaks to total flooding. It may seem as if all hope is lost and our property will be gutted down. But that is not the truth often. Here is a guide to water damage restoration to enable lessen the losses:
Remove the standing water – If there is any standing water then first get that removed.
- You will not be able to do any work if the water is standing. Once the water is removed even the technicians or water damage restoration professionals will be able to find the source of the issue so that it can be taken care of.
- Inspection – The first step is to know exactly what has been damaged and what needs to get fixed. If you have called a professional they will use their moisture sensors and meters to check how far the damage is and how wet the area is including the walls, ceiling, flooring, etc. Check if the electricity is jeopardized or if it has been shorted out by the water.
- Switch off all electricity and gas connections. Take the help of a technician to check for unsafe conditions before reconnecting electricity.
- Food and Water sanitation – Until the local authorities declare water pure and safe for use do not use it until you strain it through a clean cloth or filter. Then boil the water vigorously for nearly at least two minutes as it will kill any contaminants present in it. If boiling is not possible then use unscented liquid chlorine beach and let the water stand for about half-an-hour before using it. Sanitize and clean any packaged food before using it. Discard flood contaminated wooden cutting boards, baby bottles, pacifiers, etc. Wash all metal and ceramic utensils with hot soapy water and sanitize by boiling them in clean water before using.
- Furniture and carpets – Try and shift all the furniture, carpets, and bedding outside to be cleaned, dried, or discarded if needed. It is best if the flooded carpets and rugs are replaced and flood water may contain contaminants. Remove the water-logged carpets and such things within 48 hours after the flood water subsides. If the carpets are soiled get them cleaned professionally or use a carpet shampoo. Dry the carpet and subfloor thoroughly before installing because otherwise molds or mildew will develop.
- Uphoslstery – Discard all the damaged upholstery and mattresses but if the upholstered furniture is a valuable piece then replace the stuffing and upholstery. Solid wood, plastic, and metal furniture should be cleaned and restored. Remove any mud with a hose and clean, sanitize and dry completely with direct sunlight.
- Walls – Remove water from the structure as fast as possible and ventilate. Remove baseboards and cut holes to drain uninsulated walls. The interior surface of insulated walls should be discarded and if undamaged paneling is there open and reinstall after cleaning. Clean the mud and dry clean with dehumidifiers and fans. Spray disinfectants to kill any mold or fungi. Leave walls open to dry thoroughly and sometimes it may take even a month to dry completely. Select replacement materials that can withstand future floods.
- Prevent mold and mildew – Control mold and mildew aggressively in the weeks after the flood. When power has been restored continuously use air conditioners or heaters as per the climate and a dehumidifier to remove humidity. If you do not have an AC then open the windows and use fans to circulate the air. Try to reduce any activity that can increase the moisture in the indoor air and use exhaust fans when cooking and bathing. Clean the mold or mildew affected articles outdoors and wipe them with a disinfectant. Keep checking beneath all the things in your house as mold and mildew develop very fast without even you noticing.
- Sanitizing and Cleaning – Once the water has been removed and the whole property dried, the water damage restoration company will go through and do a final cleaning. This involves sanitizing and removing any possible bacterial growth and deodorizing to get the property rid of any unwanted odors due to the water damage.
Water damage of any type – floods, leakages, etc will disrupt your daily life. Getting back to our daily routine life as fast as possible is necessary. Consult a water damage clean-up professional the moment you notice the first signs of damage. Your prompt action will limit the spread of water damage and restore your house without any major hazards. Check out this website for the best water damage restoration company in Yorba Linda as they will ensure that your damaged property returns to its pre-loss condition quickly.
Karl is a marketing manager at EZ Leak Detection. He loves to write about plumbing services, slab leak detection, slab leak repair, water heater repair and AC & Appliance Installation San Diego.