Divorce is not a walk in the park. It’s an incredibly emotional and difficult process, made even more complicated by the legalities that come with it. If you’re considering or going through a divorce, it’s essential to know your options and how best to protect yourself. The best way to do so is by hiring a reliable divorce lawyer.
But with so many lawyers around, how do you find the right one for you? Read on to uncover everything you need to know about hiring a divorce lawyer in Toronto, Canada.
When is the Right Time to Hire One?
While no one gets married with divorce in mind, the ongoing divorce rate in the U.S. is about 2.3 per 1.000 population. If you’re contemplating a divorce, you may wonder when the right time is to hire a divorce lawyer. Here are three common instances when it may be time to seek legal counsel:
- Financial Issues — One of the most common reasons for divorces is disagreements over money. If you and your spouse often disagree on finances, it may be time to find a lawyer to explore your options.
- Child Custody — Creating a reasonable child custody arrangement will require you to hire an excellent family divorce lawyer if you have children. Issues with child custody can be complex. You want to be confident your lawyer has experience handling cases like yours.
- Domestic Violence — If there is any history of domestic violence in your marriage, you must seek legal help immediately. A good divorce lawyer can protect your rights and help ensure you and your children are safe.
Who Will be an Ideal Divorce Lawyer?
Going through a divorce is never a breeze, but having a good lawyer can make the process much smoother. Keep an eye out for these things when looking for a divorce lawyer:
- Consider the credentials and educational background of the lawyer. They should be licensed to practice law in your state and have attended an accredited law school. You can find this information on a lawyer’s website or a quick online search.
- Review how much experience the lawyer has in dealing with family law cases. Look for someone who has been practicing family law for several years and has a proven track record of courtroom battles. For instance, you can be sure a divorce lawyer at Nussbaum Law is qualified and respected in their field.
- Identify the lawyer’s area of practice. While most lawyers will have some experience with divorce cases, some may specialize in other areas of family law, like alimony. If your issue is particularly complex, you may want to hire a lawyer who specializes in divorce law.
- Read client reviews to understand what others have thought about the lawyer’s services. These can usually be found on the lawyer’s website or third-party review sites. Assess reviews that mention the lawyer’s communication skills, problem-solving ability, and overall success rate.
- Ensure you’re comfortable communicating with the lawyer. You’ll be sharing sensitive personal information with them, and you need to be able to trust them completely. Choose a lawyer whose communication style meshes well with your own.
How do you Get Things Done with Your Lawyer?
If you’re facing a divorce, you must work closely with a divorce attorney. It can be a challenging process, but there are three vital things you can do to make it easier:
- Be prepared to provide your lawyer with all relevant information about your marriage and divorce. It includes financial documents, communication with your spouse, and other relevant records.
- Be transparent with your lawyer about your expectations and goals for the divorce. Having realistic expectations is important, as divorces can be complex and emotional.
- Be responsive to your lawyer’s requests for information and meet deadlines.
Remember, being an active and cooperative client can help ensure that your divorce lawyer can effectively represent you. But the work doesn’t end there. There’s the whole divorce process to plan. The number one rule to make it a success is: Stay coordinated.
Plan, Plan, Plan
Going through a divorce can leave you emotionally drained. It can be hard to track what needs to be done, especially if you are also trying to juggle work and care for your children. How do you stay organized during your divorce? Here are a few tips:
Create a list of all the tasks you need to accomplish by priority.
Stay in communication with your attorney.
Allot some time for self-care.
Let an Expert Take Care of the Legalities
Now, you know what to look for and how to get along with a divorce lawyer. You’re even more knowledgeable about planning during this challenging time. If you’re ready to move forward, consider this: Hiring a divorce attorney could be one of the most relevant decisions you’ll ever make. If you’re Canadian or residing in Canada, you’re in luck.
Nussbaum Family Law is a Canadian firm that assists clients with divorce and family law disputes. Its Toronto office always welcomes consultation with any one of its seasoned lawyers. They can certainly help you navigate the whole divorce process. How will you know for sure? Contact them now.