Internet is the most growing industry as, during the Covid-19 Pandemic, people from all fields shifted their work on the internet. Students are using the internet for their studies, people doing their work online, making online transactions, and so on. While there is huge growth in using the internet, it also increases security threats.
When we browse anything on the internet, our IP address is exposed. To make your IP address hidden, we can use VPN which can protect us from a potential cyber-attack. However, sometimes as soon our VPN connection disconnects, our original IP address exposes again which is again a high-security threat.
So, how can we prevent such threats and keep our privacy while using the internet? Here comes the VPN Kill Switch. There are only a few VPN with Kill Switch that allows connection kill switch. The question here is, what is a VPN Kill Switch? Let’s discuss it in detail.
What is a VPN Kill Switch and What Does it Do?
There are some VPNs that have a built-in connection kill switch. While browsing the internet, we use VPN to keep our activity hidden and non-trackable. Sometimes, due to many reasons, our VPN connection can be lost and suddenly our IP address can be exposed.
VPN KillSwitch enables in such situation and cuts off your internet as soon your VPN connection disconnects. So, no more data can be transmitted over the internet and helps you to keep your privacy.
All our data transmitted using VPN is encrypted but when the connection disconnects even for a second, your data is no more private. Important information that is meant to be private can be exposed if your VPN connection is disrupted. This includes IP address, location, DNS traffic, and so on.
With VPN Kill Switch, everything will be secured by disconnecting your internet completely. You need to use VPN kill switch apps so that until your VPN connection is reestablished, killswitch makes sure that no more data is transmitted over the internet and servers. In this way, you can keep your location, IP address, and personal information secure and non-traceable.
There can be several reasons that can lead to connection failure and disconnection. Some of them are the following:
- Your VPN server can be down
- Due to poor quality signals
- Changing internet connection interfaces. For example, switching from wifi to mobile data.
- Antivirus or firewall settings
- VPN app can be crashed
When and where we can use VPN Kill Switch?
It is one of the most common questions. Another common question that users usually ask is, Can I leave my VPN on all the time? So, we will try to give answers to both questions here.
First, start with can you leave your VPN on all the time? The simple and short answer is “Yes”. In fact, it is recommended to use VPN as much as your can to make your connection secure and private all the time. To keep using VPN all the time, you may have to disable your antivirus or firewall as sometimes such programs lead to connection disconnection. So, check them as well before activating VPN.
Now, let’s move to our second question which is linked to our answer to the first question. As you should use VPN all the time and so internet kill switch VPN. The reason is as you don’t know when your connection disrupts, so it is wise to always use a VPN killswitch to keep your data and connection private.
There are many particular situations where you must use a VPN kill switch. Some of them are the following:
- While using Public Wifi, make sure you are using VPN and turn on the kill switch to keep your information secured.
- This will make your ipiratebay downloading experience a seamless and safe one.
- If you are a torrent using guy, keep using a VPN kill switch to avoid leakage of IP addresses to peers.
- When you are visiting a site that is not secured (you can check SSL) or you think it can be a spying site.
Should you use a VPN kill switch?
Yes, there are several reasons why users should use VPN KillSwitch. It is also important to use only the best VPN that supports the kill switch. We will guide you on that as well. Some of the reasons are the following:
- VPN Kill Switch can add a security layer so even VPN disconnect your privacy remains secure.
- Kill switch is the last defense that can protect your IP address, location, and other things from hackers and other tracking authorities.
- It can prevent your ISP to track your activities. If you are not using Kill Switch and your VPN connection cuts off then you may leave yourself vulnerable.
- We often feel excited and happy whenever we find free public wifi but it can be a security threat as well as most people don’t know this. Use VPN Kill Switch so your information remains secured and private.
- Choose VPN app wisely. We recommend you to use VeePN Kill Switch. You can download the free VeePN kill switch app for android and try the trial version. VeePN is also useful to change your location to somewhere else like the USA to get access to websites that are blocked in your location.
Pros and Cons of VPN Kill Switch:
There are many advantages and some disadvantages of the VPN kill switch.
- Your location, IP address, etc. will be secured even after a VPN disconnection.
- Automatically disconnect the internet even if there is a slight disruption.
- Keep your activities hidden and private.
- Provide peace of mind.
- If you use a kill switch, your local network will stop working. This might not be good if you have local programs that do not work with VPN tunnels. You need to decide if the kill switch is worth it for security reasons.
When our VPN connection is disrupted even for nanoseconds, our data remains no more private. VPN Kill Switch is a great way to keep your data and personal information private even when your VPN disconnects.
You can use VeePN Kill switch free trial version to keep yourself secure while using public wifi. Otherwise, there are high chances of information leakage.