Whether it is standing near the bar counter or hiding in the back room of a bar, the keg is an essential part of any draft beer system.
If you are going to install such a system and looking for kegs for sale, then surely you have heard that such a barrel is the best solution for beer storing and dispensing. You no longer have to worry about numerous bottle caps or broken glass: the keg does not need all of this. It is reliable, durable, it can be stacked and used as you wish.
What’s Inside the Keg?
While beer bottles are transparent, kegs are made of aluminum or stainless steel.
- The barrel has a special opening called a «plug».
- Inside the keg there is a long metal tube extending from the valve to the bottom of the barrel. This tube is called a «spear». In the upper part of this tube, there is a special opening, designed for carbon dioxide or nitrogen to push the drink out from the barrel.
- The keg is also equipped with a self-closing valve. This valve can be opened by means of a fitting which is attached when tapping on the barrel.
How do Beer Kegs Work?
When we press the beer tap, we take for granted that the drink comes with the right amount of carbonation, good taste, and an appropriate foam head.
In fact, it requires some effort to make sure the beer is tasting great.
- The keg must be in an upright position.
- In order for the beer to start pouring from the taps, it is pushed out by the gas pressure. This pressure pushes the drink from the bottom of the keg up through the metal tube – a «spear» and then through the valve on the barrel.
- The pressure level is controlled by special regulators and depends on the type of beer and gas. Thus, for carbon dioxide (used for traditional beer varieties) the pressure should be within 10-12 pounds per square inch, and for nitrogen (used for Guinness and stouts production) – within 30-40 pounds per square inch.
Now that you know the theory, it is time to install such equipment and test it in practice.
If you are looking for quality kegs for sale, visit the Beverage Craft online store. Here you will find a large selection of kegs of different sizes: ½, ¼, and ⅙ barrel, mini, European half-barrel, and standard barrel, designed for different type of beverage.
With Beverage Craft products, you can be sure of the excellent quality of your beer!