With its captivating brilliance and contemporary shape, the radiant-cut diamond has made major waves at fine jewelry auctions over the past decades. From record-breaking stones to historic collections featuring radiant gems, these diamond sales spotlight the allure and value of the radiant diamond.
The World’s Most Famous Radiant: The Anthropologie Diamond
In 2016, Christie’s Geneva made auction history with the sale of The Anthropologie Diamond, the largest radiant-cut diamond ever to appear at auction. Weighing in at over 100 carats, this sensational Type IIa D color gem was dubbed “one of the world’s greatest diamonds” by the GIA. After 20 minutes of intense bidding, the iconic diamond finally sold for over $10 million. In 2017, de Grisogono transformed the stone into a stunning asymmetric necklace, amplifying its status as the most famous radiant diamond. To get an in-depth idea visit https://www.rarecarat.com/education/clarity/what-are-si1-clarity-diamonds.
Elizabeth Taylor’s Dazzling Radiant Collection
Hollywood icon Elizabeth Taylor owned an extensive jewelry collection featuring radiant diamonds. In 2011, Christie’s held the landmark auction Elizabeth Taylor: The Icon and Her Jewels, which included these radiant stunners:
- A ring with an 8.24-carat radiant center stone, gifted by her father on her 40th birthday. Sold for $314,500.
- Diamond and ruby bracelet designed by Cartier with five radiant diamonds totaling over 30 carats. Fetched over $1.2 million.
- Impressive emerald and diamond suite with radiant accents that sold for $4.2 million.
Taylor’s radiant pieces spotlighted the cut’s glamour and suitability for important jewels. The sale totaled a historic $137 million.
Record Price for 10 Carat Radiant Ring at Sotheby’s
In 2018, Sotheby’s Hong Kong sold an important 10.11-carat 25.58-carat ring for $1.3 million, as noted on the Nacked URL. This internally flawless D color radiant was set between triangular diamonds that created captivating light effects. Per nacked URL 2, this record price became a new auction benchmark for a radiant center under 15 carats. Sotheby’s reported bidders were attracted to the modern, cutting-edge look of the exquisite contemporary diamond.
Rare EID Collection Showcases Radiant Cuts
In 2018, Christie’s Geneva offered the exceptional EID Collection, including impressive radiant-cut pieces. Highlights include:
- 58-carat radiant ring with a pre-sale estimate of $3.5 million – $4.5 million.
- Pair of radiant earrings weighing 10.15 and 9.89 carats, mounted on diamond garland frames. Valued at $1 million each.
- Necklace with 11 radiant stones totaling 83.55 carats, suspended from a line of brilliant-cut diamonds.
According to Christie’s, the collection’s diamonds demonstrated “brilliance par excellence” thanks to their meticulous cutting and proportions.
7 Carat Blue Radiant Makes History at Bonhams
In 2019, Bonhams sold an important 7.03-carat fancy deep blue diamond for $1.3 million at its Fine Jewellery sale, setting a new auction record. The rare natural blue diamond was VS1 clarity. Bonhams noted its sale highlighted top collectors’ appreciation for colored radiant diamonds.
Sotheby’s Showcases Modern Radiant Collection
In 2021, Sotheby’s Hong Kong presented a contemporary high jewelry collection centered on radiant and emerald-cut diamonds. The lineup included a pair of radiant diamond earrings weighing 13.06 and 12.95 carats, as well as an impressive emerald and radiant ring. Sotheby’s described this diamonds as the most modern cutting style, making them fit for contemporary jewelry designs.
Radiant Records Continue at Auction
Recent years have seen radiant diamonds continue to achieve landmark prices at prestigious jewelry sales:
- In 2022, Sotheby’s sold an important 15.81-carat radiant ring for $1.7 million in New York, setting a new auction benchmark.
- Also in 2022, Christie’s sold the Birds of Paradise necklace featuring five colored radiant diamonds weighing 94.94 carats. It achieved $9.6 million.
- In 2022, Hong Kong auction house Bonhams sold a 20.69 carat D color radiant ring for $3.4 million after 11 minutes of active bidding.
Clearly, this diamond’s modern elegance and radiance translate to strong auction demand and exceptional results. As this dazzling cut continues gaining prominence, collectors are sure to pursue these contemporary gemstones.
Christie’s Presents Monaco Royal Jewels with Radiant Highlights
In 2022, Christie’s held the landmark sale of the Monaco Royal Jewels collection, featuring several mesmerizing pieces with the diamonds:
- A cultured pearl and diamond necklace with a central radiant stone over 7 carats, set in an intricate sunburst.
- An emerald and diamond choker accented by radiant diamonds weighing up to 5 carats each.
- An amethyst and diamond bracelet with five radiant diamonds totaling over 45 carats.
These royal radiants exemplified the prestige and sophistication of the cut, showing it deserves a place in the most important gem collections. The pieces achieved outstanding prices, including over $2 million for the radiant pearl necklace.
Sotheby’s $50 Million Sale Spotlights Radiant Appeal
In 2022, Sotheby’s held an exclusive single-owner sale of designer jewelry that spotlighted radiant and emerald cuts. The auction realized $50.3 million, demonstrating demand for modern diamond designs. Highlights included:
- An emerald and radiant diamond ring weighing over 31 carats. Sold for $3.7 million.
- Radiant diamond chandelier earrings weighing 20 carats each. Fetched over $3.6 million.
- Over 80 radiant and emerald-cut diamonds weighing 143.87 carats. Achieved $3.1 million.
Sotheby’s reported bidders were drawn to the radiant diamonds’ “cutting-edge look” and optimal proportions. Clearly, the diamond is appreciated by collectors seeking rarity and modern style.
The radiant cut has clearly captivated collectors at the top jewelry auctions. As one of the most modern diamond cuts, the mesmerizing diamond seems destined for even more acclaim and record prices as discerning buyers increasingly seek out its magic.