How many of us today can think of spending our lives without electricity? We are not just tuned to do so. Unfortunately or fortunately, electricity has proven to be one of man’s most important innovations. When Benjamin Franklin discovered current and electricity, he would have never thought about how it could impact generations after him. We are indebted to the scientist of his caliber for making our lives so much more comfortable and stress-free.
Another invention of mankind that has been taking the world by storm is the internet. This innovation, too, has left a telltale impact on our daily lives. By enjoying any innovation, be it electricity or the internet, you need to ensure regular bill payments. If not, the service provider can always disconnect or discontinue the services.
What do I need to pay the electricity bill?
One of the most important things you need when paying electricity bills is your Consumer Number. You may be unaware, but this is the number differentiating your connection from your neighbors, friends, and family.
Every electric supplier or distribution company will ascertain a typical consumer number for each of its subscribers. For example, suppose you stay in and around Mumbai, where the electric distribution company is MSEDCL. As a Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Limited customer, you will be assigned a unique number called the Consumer Number. It helps identify every subscriber. Every state board has its own way of assigning numbers and determining the length of the consumer number.
Why do I need to know my consumer number?
One of the biggest uses of the consumer number is for online electrical bill payment of MSEDCL. If you mistake entering the number, the payment will either get rejected, or the money will be credited into another subscriber’s account. As a result, you may have to be the target of some serious consequences.
Not too sure what your consumer number is? We will tell you how to find it.
- From your physical electric bill- Most state boards send the electric bill copy – the hard copy – to your registered address. When you open the bill, you will be able to locate the consumer number at a strategic point on the copy. It would usually be on the left or right hand upper or lower corner. Read the bill carefully, and you will come across the number which could read as – BP Number, CA Number, Consumer Number, Customer Number, etc.
- Online payment- The good part is that if you are using online payment apps to pay the electric bill, you can use them to get to know your consumer number. How? Follow these simple steps:
- Open the app
- Go to the Electricity Payment page
- Choose the Electricity Board. If you have used the payment app earlier to pay your electric bills, then the app will automatically save your consumer number.
- Either the number will get filled in the tab automatically, or you will need to open the e-bill from the app to get your consumer number.
If you are a new user of the app, then how will you get to know your consumer number? You need to click on the sample bill view. You will find markings to denote the Consumer number when you open it. Now, open your physical bill and look up the exact location.
Why is the consumer number so critically important?
As mentioned earlier, it is a unique identifier. The number differentiates you from all the other users and subscribers of the electricity board. If you make an error with even a single digit of the Consumer Number, your payments can get lost or credited to someone else’s account.
Paying electric bills – online or offline
With the advent of technology, paying bills has become easy and convenient online. The internet age has made things much more comfortable and seamless than before. No more standing in long queues anymore to pay electric bills. Neither do you need to venture out of the home to do so. No hassle of a traffic jam or facing the brunt of the raging sun in summers or the chilly winds in the winters.
Choosing to go digital with your payments is a wise decision. However, it comes with responsibilities too. You need to be one-hundred percent sure that you are using the right payment app for safe and secure payments online.