A hit-and-run accident is no joke and can leave you severely injured and traumatized. However, you need to remember that hit and run victims have the right to get compensation and have the suspect arrested. But for this, you must remain composed and contact the police to investigate the accident.
To get compensation for their losses, hit and run victims can file a personal injury claim for which they must hire an accident lawyer. The personal injury lawyer will guide you through and help you get justice.
What to do after a hit and run accident
If you get into a hit and run accident, remember to follow the following steps:
1) Call 911
Immediately call the police and inform them about the accident.
2) Seek medical attention
If you are severely injured and cannot move, do not overexert yourself and take drastic actions. Wait for the ambulances and medical help to arrive. Your safety is the top priority. Get medical treatment as soon as possible.
3) Do not run after the fleeing vehicle
Even if your car is working, you should not follow a fleeing driver as it may worsen your injuries and lead to another accident. Also, it will be difficult for the police to understand what happened if you leave the scene, and you might be the one charged with hit and run.
4) Remember the license plate number
The license plate number is the most important thing that you should remember. The police can use it to track down the driver.
5) Tell the police all the details about the vehicle
The car’s color, model, the direction the car sped off in, and other details can help the police track down the fleeing driver.
6) Write down the contact information of witnesses
Witnesses can testify in your favor and tell what they saw. You must talk to them and collect their contact details.
7) Contact an attorney
Immediately contact a car accident lawyer in Murrayville, GA. They will help you in every legal way possible.
How can a personal injury help?
1) If the hit and run driver is caught, they will face criminal charges. However, you will still need to provide liability. Proving your liability is a difficult and complex process that requires the attention of an attorney. The attorney will try to prove that the driver was responsible for the hit and run accident and not you. They will also help you win compensation.
2) In order to prove that you were a victim of the hit-and-run accident, you will need to provide evidence in court. The attorney will help you assemble all the evidence that will support your claim and case.
3) The attorney will communicate and respond on your behalf so that you can rest and recover from the injuries. They will also take care of all sorts of legal matters, such as assembling documents, responding to legal motions, and talking to insurance companies.
4) They will help you reach a fair settlement that is done out of court.
In a nutshell
If you are ever in a hit-and-run accident, remember to follow the above-mentioned steps at the scene and leave the rest to your attorney. They will not only represent you in court but will also help you earn the compensation you deserve.