Portugal Golden Visa Fund is one of the options when you apply for Portugal Golden Visa. This means that it’s one way to get residency in Portugal.
This investment option is relatively new compared to the others. However, Portugal Golden Visa Investment Fund has managed to attract 150 investors within only a few years. All of these applicants have obtained Portuguese residency.
Portugal Golden Visa Investment Fund offers some advantages such as low tax and fees or diversification. You’ll find more about this investment type in the sections below.
About Portugal Golden Visa Investment Fund: A Summary
The Golden Visa program in Portugal is designed for non-European citizens to get EU residency in a short time. Applicants can get their residence permit within around six months on average. To get a residence permit via this program, you need to invest in Portugal. Although real estate investment has been the most preferred option, fund investment has started to stand out.
Fund investment requires an investment of €500,000 in venture capital funds or units of investment funds. Once you’ve completed the investment and documentation process, you can get your residence card. Your dependent family members can also benefit from these rights and become residents as well.
Note that you need to have a clean criminal record to apply for Portugal Investment Fund Golden Visa. You must also be a citizen from outside of the EU, EEA, and Switzerland.
The application process of Portugal Golden Visa Investment Fund is as follows:
- Deciding on one of the Portugal Golden Visa Investment Fund options
- Finding a legal firm and an investment advisory firm
- Getting a tax identity number (NIF) in Portugal and opening a bank account in Portugal
- Preparing the documents regarding your application
- Transferring the funds to the fund account
- Submitting your application to SEF (Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service). Then, set your biometrics appointment
- Finally, obtain your residence permit.
Choosing The Right Fund To Invest in
Taking the following points into account can make the choosing process easier:
- Types of funds differ according to their risk degrees. For this reason, you’ll decide on the one that you’d prefer. High-risk funds mostly focus on some companies and startups. Low-risk funds are usually the ones indirectly investing in real estate properties. They always keep some value, without being affected by fluctuations in the market.
- Be careful about the fund managers as well. Most of the time, another team or a company exists behind the fund. In this case, you need to check out such a company or team.
- Another important point is to get all the answers to your questions regarding your fund investment. You can ask your questions to fund managers. You can ask for details about the investment stage, the focus of the fund, target return, and subscription fees.
Advantages of Investing in Portugal Golden Visa Investment Fund
Portugal Golden Visa Investment Fund mainly provides security and low taxes and fees for investors.
Security Is Provided Through Many Institutions
Regulation of all funds is conducted by the Portuguese Securities Market Commission (CMVM). In addition, a third party also audits each fund annually. Fund management is also conducted by fund managers regularly. In addition to these, the following authorities also regulate the investment funds in Portugal:
- Bank of Portugal, and
- Portuguese tax authorities.
Low Taxes Apply
Portugal Golden Visa Fund exempts you from stamp duty and annual municipal taxes. Compared to this, a real estate investment requires a certain percentage of these taxes besides IMI transfer tax.
Non-tax residents are also exempt from withholding tax on the income generated by the fund.
In short, Portugal Golden Visa Investment Fund is a profitable and preferred type of investment. Give it a try if the conditions above suit your interests.