Good health is something many people seek to obtain but do not know how to get started. Having good health begins from the inside out. Although eating a healthy diet and exercising are both key ways to improve health, many people do not realize there is so much more going on that impacts their overall health.
Digestive Issues Can Impact a Person’s Health
Whether individuals eat the right foods or take electrolyte powder mix, their health will not be as good as it could be if there are tummy issues present. Unfortunately, the digestive system does not always function as normally as it should.
Many people seek medical care each year for digestive concerns. Heartburn, constipation, indigestion, diarrhea, and upset stomach are all common maladies. According to medical experts, around 60 to 70 million people in the United States suffer from digestive issues.
The job of the digestive system is to break down the foods people eat so the nutrients can be extracted and used by the body. When digestive issues erupt, nutritional deficiencies follow. With nutritional concerns come declining health.
Critical Ways to Improve Digestion
Improving digestion is critical for good overall health. There are a few things individuals can do to ensure their digestive system is working properly. Taking care of digestive concerns can improve a person’s overall health.
- Fiber is essential, and most people do not get near enough. Soluble fiber and insoluble fiber are both important. Soluble fiber protects against high cholesterol, while insoluble fiber helps keep individuals regular.
- Eating healthy fats is also essential for improving digestion. Omega-3 fatty acids help improve the gut microbiome, which is integral to a person’s overall health.
- Consuming fewer processed foods will help individuals improve their digestive health. Ultra-processed foods have very little fiber or nutritional benefit. Consuming too much processed food can lead to bad bacteria overgrowth in the digestive tract.
- Staying hydrated is more critical than many people realize. Drinking between 11 to 15 cups of water each day will help keep the digestive system moving and prevent constipation. Proper hydration also helps with breaking down foods.
- Stress reduction is also essential for good digestive health. Too much stress reduces blood flow to the digestive tract. With too much stress, people do not absorb the proper nutrients they need.
- Sitting down and enjoying a meal is incredibly important for proper digestion. The body starts producing digestive enzymes as soon as it smells food. Taking time to enjoy the meal and eating slowly will improve digestion dramatically.
Making the above changes can bring about improvements in a person’s digestive health over time. Digestive issues are one of the biggest health problems people face. Unfortunately, many people feel too embarrassed to talk about their issues so they never learn the root cause. If the above steps do not bring about improved digestion, individuals should see their doctors for further testing. There could be serious underlying health issues present.
Better Health Begins Now
Many people do not realize the sheer importance of proper digestive health. When the digestive system is not operating properly, health issues are bound to occur.
With the right nutrition and lifestyle changes, you can experience better health and an overall sense of well-being.
Better health will not happen overnight. It takes a concerted effort and time to begin to see the gut biome changing and better digestive action. Taking the steps above is a perfect start.