In 2017, the Indian government introduced the Goods and Services Tax (GST) to make the indirect tax system much easier and more convenient. Under this new system, one single tax is to be imposed on goods as well as services that the businesses provide to the customers. So, if you are a business owner, it becomes extremely important for you to have a GST number.
Now, if you are wondering how to get GST number, we have compiled all the necessary information for you in one place below.
GST Number: What is it?
Before you learn how to get GST number, it is crucial that you understand what GST itself is. It is a 15-digit unique identification number that the central government allocates to business owners and service providers. It replaced the two identification numbers that the taxpayers used earlier: Tax Information Number (TIN) and service tax registration. As a result of this, all the registered business owners and service providers were transferred onto a single platform.
As of now, every business owner is expected to have a GST number. If they do not have one, they are not eligible to charge GST taxes from their customers. This is why it becomes important to learn how to get GST number.
GST Number: Who Needs It?
If you are learning how to get GST number, the first step is to understand if you need it. You should look at the following list to figure out whether you require a GST registration:
- If you own a business that provides goods and has an annual revenue of more than 40 lakhs, then you are eligible for GST registration.
- If you own a business that provides services or mixed supplies and your business has an annual revenue of Rs 20 lakhs, then you are required to do a GST registration for yourself.
- The GST law requires that certain suppliers undertake the GST registration, regardless of how much revenue they are making. These suppliers may include interstate suppliers, casual taxable person, non-resident taxable persons as well as anyone operating in the E-commerce sector.
If you fall in any of the above categories, you must complete your GST registration and only then you will receive your GST number.
How to Get GST Number: Documents Required
If you want to know how to get GST number, then understand that you need to complete your GST registration first. This can be done through two ways. You can visit the GST portal, or you can go to your nearest GST Seva Kendra.
For either case, you will be asked to submit the following documents:
- Your PAN
- Your Aadhaar card
- Your proof of business
- Your photograph, identity as well as Address proof of your promoters
- Your bank account statement
- Your digital signature
- Your letter of authorisation
How to Get GST Number: The Process
You need to go to the GST website. Under the ‘Services’ section, you need to choose ‘Registration’ and then ‘New Registration’. You will be given a registration form. This will have two parts.
Part A: New Registration
- Choose “New Registration’ option in your registration form.
- In the ‘I am’ drop down list, you need to choose ‘Taxpayer’.
- Then choose the select as well as the district in which you will be registering your business.
- Provide the name of your business as it is in the PAN database.
- You also need to provide the PAN of your business.
- Where it asks for email, you should provide the email of your Primary Authorised Signatory.
- Then enter the phone number of your Primary Authorized Signatory as well.
- You will receive two different OTPS. One on the email and on the phone. Fill in the captcha text and then proceed.
- You can download your GST form in PDF.
- Once you fill in the OTP, you would have completed Part A of the registration process. You will receive a Temporary Reference Number (TRN).
Part B: Temporary Registration Number (TRN)
- When it asks for TRN, enter the TRN you received. You would also be asked to enter the captcha text. One you do both, you can proceed.
- You will be directed to a page which will ask for OTP verification. Once again, you will receive OTP on your email as well as your phone number.
- Once you have entered the OTP, you will be directed to ‘My Saved Application’ page. This application needs to be submitted within 15 days. Once you submit it, the status of the application changes from ‘Draft’ to ‘Pending for validation’.
- Your registration application form will open with ten subgroups/tabs. You need to fill in the required details in each one of these tabs.
- Once you are done with filing all the details, select the verification tab. Then you need to complete the enrollment application. Put your digital signature.
- Once you complete the above steps, you will get a certificate. You will also be notified of your successful submission. You will receive your Application Reference Number.
Ever since its introduction in 2017, GST has become an important indirect tax system. It has replaced all the previous taxes. Now if you are a business owner, you need to know what is GST, how to get GST number as well as how to file GST. This is crucial because you need to charge your customers the necessary taxes. You can do this through the GST portal.